early 1900's, the Catholics of Scarsdale
traveled by trolley to attend Mass at the Church
of St. John the Evangelist
in White Plains. In 1912, a committee approached
John Cardinal Farley asking that a new parish be
established in Scarsdale.
Although there were only
thirty-nine Catholic families in the area,
Cardinal Farley granted their request, and the
parish of the Immaculate Heart of Mary was
established on December 20, 1912.
Over the next several
years the parish experienced continued growth.
In 1924, when the financial burdens incurred in
the building of the church were relieved, plans
were made for the construction of a parish
school on the same site as the Church.
The cornerstone for the
new Immaculate Heart of Mary School was laid on
December 11, 1927. The Sisters of Charity were
engaged to staff the new school and made their
temporary residence at the Tunney home on Carman
Road until a convent could be build for them.
Sister Miriam Patricia McGinty, S.C. became the
first principal of the school.
On September 10, 1928,
one hundred students in five grades entered the
new school. The building designed by J.B.C.
Synder and built by the John J. Cocherill
Construction Company contained nine classrooms,
a library, an auditorium and a gymnasium.
The dedication of the
school was such an auspicious occasion for the
Village of Scarsdale that Patrick Cardinal Hayes
was escorted from the Scarsdale Station to the
ceremony in a flag-festooned motorcade.
In 1937, four new
classrooms and a new kindergarten were added to
the school. Over the next several years, the
parish continued to expand, and in 1948,
portions of the parish were formed into the new
parish of Our Lady of Fatima. This happened
again in 1954, when St. Pius X Parish was
established. Both of these new parishes would
eventually build their own parochial schools.
However, even with these changes in parish
geography, overcrowding at IHM school made the
addition of three classrooms on the third floor
In 1964, there were 700
students in the school.
The Sisters of Charity
ended their thirty-nine year affiliation with
Immaculate Heart of Mary School in 1967. The
school principals who succeeded Sister Miriam
Patricia were Sisters Vincent Miriam Tracy,
Regina Miriam Donohue, Miriam Ursula Farnan,
Bernardine Miriam Comerford, Maria Alacoque
Sheridan, Marie Aimee Walsh and Sister Marie
Loretta. The Dominican Sisters of Sparkill
assumed operation of IHM School for the next
five years with Sr. Marie Regina, O.P. serving
In 1972, Immaculate
Heart of Mary School became the first
lay-administered and lay-staffed school in the
Archdiocese of New York when Mrs. Mary Anne
Landry became the new school principal. In 1978,
she was succeeded by Mr. Harold Nielsen, and in
1984, Mr. Robert Billings assumed the role of
principal serving IHM School for the next twenty
In September 2006, Mrs.
Patricia Gatti became the new principal.
Formerly the principal of St. Brendan's School
in the Bronx, Mrs. Gatti brings many years of
experience as a teacher and administrator to IHM
In September 2015, Mrs. Teresa M. Sopot assumed the role of principal. She was the principal of St. Thomas Aquinas School in the Bronx for 10 years, as well as a teacher in the Archdiocese for 26 years. Mrs. Sopot is very excited to be a part of the heart of IHM school and parish.
Although the enrollment of IHM school is smaller than in years past, it continues to be committed to the same principles that inspired the parishioners of IHM almost NINETY years ago to build our school.
As we celebrate the
past, we look forward to the future and pray
that through the intercession of the Immaculate
Heart of Mary, God will continue to pour out his
blessings on our alumni, our present students
and all who will come to IHM School in the years